BY ALICE YORK
January spells out two things: an overarching desire to battle the cold at all costs, and the electricity and excitement of the fresh start the new year brings. I would suggest cozying up in these shearling styles while embracing the new with these very creative renderings of this very classic material. Though the appeal of the shearling car coats of years past (think Steve McQueen and Audrey Hepburn) endures, shearling is no longer so limited. The shearling styles of 2016 come in a rainbow of colors, with a variety of iterations to accessorize yourself or your home. Add some color and texture to your couch or chaise with one of these super soft Mongolian fur pillows from West Elm (1), that come in wild shades like peacock and mustard. If you prefer something tamer, fear not – neutral tones are also available. Moving from the home to the foot, we offer up the shearling shoe. These fuzzy sneakers by Joshua Sanders (2), who makes some of the most fun shoes around, are a bright and cheerful option for the dreary winter months. The designers at Fendi are always doing something incredible with textiles, particularly when it comes to their bags. This shearling ‘Peekaboo’ bag (3) is no exception: it is simultaneously elegant and exotic. Understated elegance comes to mind when thinking of the iconic trench coat, and no label is more synonymous with that style than Burberry. For this season, they’ve updated the traditional trench by rendering it in sumptuous shearling, in the most beautiful shade of dusky mauve (4). Another twist on the shearling jacket is this number by French label, Sandro (5). From the cut to the color combination, this coat is bold and thoroughly modern. From the uptown opulence of Fendi to the downtown cool of this KARA backpack (6), done in the softest, most subtle gray, this year you can have a shearling bag for practically any occasion! The options are endless, and, best of all, warm.
Credits/Where to Buy:
1. Mongolian Lamb Pillow Covers, West Elm, $69-169 (available on West Elm’s website or at West Elm, 1000 West North Avenue).
2. Shearling Double-Sole Platform Sneakers, Joshua Sanders, $140 (available at Saks Fifth Avenue).
3. ‘Micro Peekaboo’ Genuine Shearling & Lambskin Leather Bag, Fendi, $1,950 (available on Nordstrom’s website or at Nordstrom Michigan Avenue, 55 East Grand Avenue).
4. Shearling Trench Coat, Burberry, $4,895 (available on Burberry’s website).
5. Violat Jacket, Sandro, $997.50 (available on the Sandro website).
6. OC Exclusive Embossed Small Backpack, KARA, $144 (available at Opening Ceremony online).