BY ALICE YORK
Gone are the days where animal motifs must be relegated to children’s clothing or prep school ribbon belts. Many stylish offerings can be found nowadays that are perfectly grown up and, dare I say, sexy?! Animal motifs no longer need be reserved for the nursery – bring them out into the living room in the form of this chic patterned pillow from Unison (1), a Chicago-based company specializing in modern, bold textiles. Another whimsical accessory for the home – and one that I have adorning my bar – is Oscar de la Renta’s tortoise bottle opener (2). Slow and steady has never looked better. For our remaining chilly days, and we know we are due for a few more here in Chicago, this CK Bradley pom-pom hat (3), is somehow both loads of fun yet rather understated, like a ski bunny with a much higher cool factor. You would be hard pressed to find a label with higher cool factor than London’s Bella Freud. Every It Girl has been spotted in one of her sweaters, and I love the sweet and slightly cheeky dog on this cashmere jumper (4). Moving from the ski slopes to occasions slightly more grand will be done in part with these exquisite serpentine earrings by Nora Kogan (5). The diamonds appear to undulate down from your ears and the effect is breathtaking and slightly sultry. As a lifelong dachshund owner, I am perhaps a little biased about these bookends by Jonathan Adler (6), but as dachshunds have been the dog of choice from everyone from Joan Crawford and Brigitte Bardot to Andy Warhol and Brooke Astor, I tend to think the breed is always in good taste. Making a perhaps controversial leap from canines to felines, I think this Perspex clutch box by Charlotte Olympia (7) would make for a lighthearted addition to your evening wear. But really, all of these styles will add a much-needed dose of mischievousness to all of our homes and wardrobes, while still staying on the elegant side of eccentric.
Credits/Where to Buy:
1. Harvest Denim 22×22 Throw Pillow, Unison, $55.25 (available here on Unison’s website or at Unison, 1911 West Division Street).
2. Tortoise Bottle Opener, Oscar de la Renta, $95 (available here at Oscar de la Renta online).
3. Pom Pom Hat – Antlers with Fur Pom, CK Bradley, $98 (available here on CK Bradley’s website).
4. Cashmere Dog Jumper Ivory, Bella Freud, about $548 (available here on Bella Freud’s website).
5. Xenia Earrings, Nora Kogan, $4,360 (available here on the Nora Kogan website).
6. Ceramic Dachshund Bookends, Jonathan Adler, $150 (available here on the Jonathan Adler website or at Jonathan Adler, 676 North Wabash Avenue).
7. Kitty Clutch, Charlotte Olympia, $995 (available here on the Charlotte Olympia website).