BY ALICE YORK
Though we are usually beckoned out into the sunshine this time of year, spring runways made a great case for the indoors; specifically, the bedroom. Models paraded down the catwalk in satin, silk, and lace looking like they just slipped out from under the duvet. This month’s NOW! is inspired by this boudoir styling and how to get the look, whether you choose to stay in bed or paint the town red.
For a good night’s rest, slip this delightfully preppy Parker & Thatch eye mask over your eyes, complete with monogramming and pink-trimmed elephants (1). I think Holly Golightly would approve. Together Calvin Klein and Kate Moss transformed the slip into something more black tie-ready in the 90s, and French label Equipment – beloved for their wardrobe-staple silk dress shirts and blouses – has updated the style for 2016, with this example of stunning simplicity (2). It’s comfortable enough for lounging, but polished enough for an occasion considerably more formal. Be sure to set the mood with scent. I recommend this Voluspa diffuser and its rich blend of amber resin, sandalwood and vanilla – the gold and black floral packaging is so beautiful, you might be tempted keep the box (3). The kimono has been transformed into western outerwear in this coat by cult-favorite British label Shrimps, made famous by their whimsical colored fun-fur (4). I think the soft blue and peach shades are absolutely dreamy. What proper boudoir would be without a little Hollywood Regency style? This metallic silver starburst mirror by Ethan Allen adds some gloss to the bedroom, or really any room of the house that needs a little extra shine (5). Lace slippers become anywhere-sandals for day or night with these Dolce & Gabbana slides, equally elegant with jeans as they are for evening (6). Why not pair this pajama-inspired blouse by Zara with those slides and jeans for brunch or with a wide-legged dress pant or midi skirt for hosting a dinner party (7)? The pajama top strikes a balance between a particular sexy, French insouciance and silky, opulent luxury, which is really what boudoir style is all about.
Credits/Where to Buy:
1. Eye Mask Canvas – Double Ling, Parker & Thatch, $48 (available here on the Parker & Thatch website).
2. Raquel Silk Slip Dress, Equipment, now $119.20 (available here at Equipment online).
3. Baltic Amber Japonica Home Ambience Diffuser, Voluspa, $25 (available here on Art Effect’s website or at Art Effect, 934 West Armitage).
4. Smith Coat, Shrimps, about $700 (available here on the Shrimps website).
5. Mini Silver Starburst Mirror, Ethan Allen, $259 (available here on the Ethan Allen website).
6. Bianca Lace Sandals, Dolce & Gabbana, $595 (available here on the mytheresa.com website).
7. Printed Pajama Style Blouse, Zara, $69.90 (available here on the Zara website and at Zara, 700 North Michigan Avenue).